Tips for Spending Time Abroad

Depending on what kind of work you do, being a work-at-home mum, or dad, could mean that you can work anywhere at which you have access to a computer and an Internet connection.

If you have the resources, you can take your family on holiday, even to a foreign country, and still get work done. This also means that if you need to move to a different city, or even a different country, you can do so with very few interruptions to your work schedule. However, if you are considering spending an extended period of time in a foreign country, there are some things you need to consider to ensure few-to-no interruptions to your workflow.


The very first thing you need to consider is what sort of paperwork you would need to file for your time abroad. Some countries allow people to stay on a travel visa for one to three months. If you plan to stay longer, however, you would need a residence visa. For example, British citizens do not need a visa to visit or travel in Canada, but may need to apply for an extended visa if they intend to stay more than a few months.

You should also find out what sort of travel documentation you need, such as a passport or driver’s license.


Thanks to the Internet, finding a home can be fairly simple. If you are planning a short stay, you might consider staying in a hotel. The advantage to the hotel is that you don’t have to worry about turning on the utilities, or whether the facility has access to the internet. Also, if you stay at a chain hotel, you can be assured that the room advertised is the room you get. Most of it is taken care of. The downside is that hotels can be expensive.

Another option is a holiday home rental. The advantage of the home rental is that it could be cheaper than a hotel. Home rentals also tend to come furnished, so you don’t have to worry about buying furniture, then figuring out what to do with it when you leave. The disadvantage is that you really don’t know what you’re getting until you get there.

Another option is to rent an unfurnished home from a realtor or estate agent, but you should only do this if you plan to stay six months or more.

You can also do a combination where you live in a hotel, or short-term rental, until you can find something longer-term.


Utilities only apply for long-term rentals. Most short-term rentals should include utilities, like gas, electric, and phone in the cost of the rental. If you are planning to rent long-term, you will need to contact the local utility company to start an account. The realtor, or estate agent, should have the name of a local utility company, for example, you could check different providers in Sylvan Lake, Canada. You can usually find contact information at the company’s website.

You want to set up your utilities as soon as you know where and when you will be moving. If an agent of the utility company has to be on-site to activate service, you can even arrange for him to do so the day before you officially move in. Setting up your utilities quickly ensures fewer interruptions to your workflow.

Get Familiar

Take a few days to explore and find out where the petrol stations, grocery stores, and shopping centres are. Familiarise yourself with the layout of your local grocery stores to make shopping easier and more efficient. The more you learn about your new home, the easier it will be to fit in to your surroundings.